Thursday, May 11, 2006

iDeaS

Having recieved my GBA Movie Player and got someone in Edinburgh to flash my DS I'm finally ready to start developing code for the Nintendo DS. I spent last night getting a development enviroment set up and doing a couple of demo programs, I'm happy now that I can take something a bit bigger so I'm hoping to do something a bit more complex than "Hello World" next, I'll probably mess about with some sprite based games before heading towards 3D stuff.
So, any ideas for games?
BTW iDeaS is an emulator for the DS.
Also I've got a Game Boy emulator on my DS no so I can play old school games such as one of my favourite games of all time:


In other news:
E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) looks interesting so far, Revolution (I refuse to use its new name) games look pretty neat, if, like the XBox 360, it has a VGA converter cable I may even have to get one for myself.
NWN2 trailer i out, just a pre-rendered cinematic though, looks rather different to the in-game graphics I've seen.

6 comments:

Lolly said...

Sounds cool! :)

Yeah - the revolutions new name is....hmmmm. Not sure what to make of it really. Wii - Riiiiiiight.

I'm going to get that USB cable that you need to hook your DS up, since I don't have wireliess so Yay!
If I do , I shall look you up for a Mario Kart race ;)

Zed0 said...

OMG!!!!
I have just learned to my horror that in Donkey Kong I am not in fat rescuing Princess Peach, rather some other girl that took Mario's fancy called Pauline!

Zed0 said...

Also I've jsut seen the new trailer for B13 which is coming out in English (not sure whether subs or dubbed) soon. It is of course one of the best known Parkour films and does star David Belle (founder of Parkour) as one of the main characters.

I am also curious as to its naming "District B13" as the original French title was "Banlieue 13" (meaning "District 13"), they probably changed it so that they didn't have to change the painting on the walls to say D13 instead of B13.

Gordon Strachan said...

Yeuch, I know - http://wii.nintendo.com/ explains why it was called Wii, but seriously, they must be having a larf. Losing ever more faith in Nintendo with each passing moment, the DS has proved to be quite a let down in my opinion, and the Gamecube, aside from Zelda, has been a massive betrayal. I won't be buying any consoles anytime soon.

Gordon Strachan said...

Hahaha, just been reading this about that weird Birdo character that pops up everywhere:

"Although later Nintendo mythology classifies Birdo as female, the first edition game manual describes Birdo as follows: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'Birdetta.'" (Subsequent editions of the game manual cut the 'Birdetta' sentence but retained the first sentence). Birdo certainly acts effeminately in any given Mario game appearance, always being flirtatious and blowing kisses. Based on this description, it is arguable that Birdo is the first transgendered video game character. However, it must be noted Nintendo ceased referring to Birdo as a male since Super Mario All-Stars, retconning the idea that Birdo has gender confusion issues."

Lolly said...

Hahahaha BIRDO IS ACE! He/she has a foghorn for a NOSE!

Anyway:

Ben - I have wi-fi!